Thursday, September 16, 2010

Class so far...

I have enjoyed every class disscussion so far in class becasue they always make me think about things in a different way.  Before class, I didn't realize that I will be sending a message to my studnents everyday in the classroom.  Professor Kruse said everything we do in the classroom sends a message about how science works.  This scares me becuase I feel like I don't know enough about science to be able to teach it the "right" way.  I'm scared I won't remember all the things we've talked about in class on how and why we teach science.  I feel like there are so many ways to teach it wrong but only a few ways to teach science right and I need to fully understand how to do it right. For example, when professor Kruse said that we are always teaching A nature of science... but is it accurate?  How do we know if we are teaching the nature of science accurately or not? 

Every time I leave the class I feel like I took in so much information and I don't know if I can remember everything.  I think teaching the nature of science and how to teach it correctly is a very complicated process.  I think the most frustrating thing for me is that this is the first class that I've had that is actually teaching me how to teach the content effectively.  It is a bit overwhelming becuase like most of the class, I had science teachers that stuck with the step by step process so coming into this class knowing that I was taught the wrong way scares me.  I know that the first year of teaching will be a struggle and I hope I can get through it.  I hope that I will remember the things we discuss in class and be able to teach the nature of science effectively.  It's just a lot to take in right now.  Like we discussed in class, I am still getting used to the fact that I was taught wrong and I basically need to start from the bottom and relearn everything, or at least how to teach it effectively.

I like how our classes are going becasue I find our class discussions very benificial. I really liked the goals we came up with because we will be able to use these in our classroom for all content areas. I enjoy this class because we talk about how and why we teach things, not just becuase the book says we have to.  I just hope I can apply all the things we discuss when I start teaching.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your feelings of being overwhelmed. Learning is emotional work. Instead of trying to remember every detail try to come up with big ideas that are worth really understanding. Look to the schematic in the syllabus to get a sense of what some of those "big ideas" might be.

    ReplyDelete